1.19.2012

Daydreaming in the snow

It is snowing in Klamath Falls.

I am still in bed watching it fall and land on the church roof outside our window.

My nose is running down my face like an athlete in the Olympics.

This is the first time I've been sick in awhile. Thus I feel justified in
watching a movie smack in the middle of the day. Thankfully I'm quite fond of our little abode and enjoy how the snow makes everything so bright!

The past few days I've been inspired to take an in depth look at my hopes and dreams. I was raised by dreamers and have thus spent life looking through a lens of optimism. One of the many things that I admire about my parents is that they are not only dreamers, but they are doers.

And I've come to learn that optimism and imagination without drive and courage will make dreams remain just that, dreams.

I want to help people. I want people to find joy in life even amid the darkest of times. How do you go about bringing joy to people's lives? How can you help a stranger feel at home? You need to discover where joy comes from. You have to recognize that to get to joy you may have to fight through a lot of challenges. I think what is so incredible about things like joy and hope is they tend to have a remarkable backstory. Stories that are messy, difficult, humous, and beautiful.

I am beginning to dream again so then I can do.

The past couple years I have been on a deliberate journey to grow in who I am and gain the skills to help people in a tangible way. I know that this is a lifelong process. I have always been one to make sure every minute of each day is filled with something productive: working multiple jobs, going to school full time, meeting several people each day for coffee, volunteering at various organizations, and the list rolls on. I have always felt fulfilled when my life is full, when I am doing a hundred things at once. But what if life isn't about doing a hundred things but instead finding those specific things that you can really thrive at and can wrestle with to learn and grow- Pursuing dreams in order to help the people around you.

I now have a unique opportunity of living a slower life for the next six months in a small town. I have the opportunity to be. I am finding that in this time of being I am discovering what my deepest dreams are, or rather building on the dreams that I've had, and the talents that I've been blessed with. I am listening more, praying more, and finally I have time to get in touch with creativity again. I've had times of revival within
myself but this time is very different. I have someone to live out my dreams with, to bounce my crazy ideas off of, to help remind me to soak up this time. The most wonderful part is, he is a dreamer too, and also a man of action. So I am realizing I need to seize each day here in this little town-get back in touch with my imagination, purpose, and enjoy the new adventures of being married.



As crazy as it sounds, I think I am supposed to find what my dreams are again in Klamath Falls. And then figure out how to do them.


*Never thought I'd be talking about Kfalls like this, just another one of life's bizarre surprises.

2 comments:

  1. Well said Merri! Yes, yes-so many great things are born in small quiet places. How about chapter two this week? I listened to a podcast on Empowering our Dreams this week. It is excellent! Here's the link: http://directdayspring.com.au/podcast/2012.01.15_TimFerris_18.00mp3
    I hope you feel better soon!
    I love you Merri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your heart is beautiful!!
    Found your sweet blog through my sister Ashley over at Life at Palm Tree Lane,
    and I'm excited to continue reading and following along as the Lord leads you into wonderful adventures!
    xoxo
    Amber

    ReplyDelete