8.30.2013

Fog Horn Encourages Creative Mind.


I drove up and it was obvious that they had already been there for a couple of hours, despite my clock blinking 6:47am. The white dusty fog provided a back drop for their charcoal gray silhouettes. I stepped out of my car and looked down at my sneakers, both were tied so I put one foot in front of the other. I gradually gained speed that matched the beat of the music playing in my head. I hastened beside the moody water; each breath of salty air felt like a pulse of new life. With each stride I pierced the heavy mist before me, I was swept away  to a whole new world. 

The burst of the cargo ship horn, calling out in the dark sea smoke returned me momentarily to reality. I became aware of the sweat beading across my forehead and pivoted to head back to the car. I looked across the water, it appeared endless, mysteriously cloaked in the morning's haze. On mornings like this one would never suspect a bustling city waking up just across the Sound. 


Looking out over Seattle 
They were still there, the shadows against the lifting fog. The cast their lines into the water, many in sync with next. From the wooden bench where I sat it was as if they were conducting the waters, which accompanied the music on the land. As the sun began to seep through the low clouds I caught a glimpse of the high rise buildings across the waters. It has been a long time since I have taken the time to let life speak to me like this... I have had my head down in order to plough forward with finishing college and growing in my career. But finally my journey of five colleges in five years has concluded. Sean and I just moved to West Seattle, he began a new job, and together we have entered a new season. 

Just about the same spot later in the afternoon

I want to live life with that continual awareness of beauty that I've long lived by but have been to busy as of late to perceive. I feel a sense of refreshment with living in this new place. Partaking in the vibrant, diverse energy of the city, while also soaking up untroubled mornings of natural grandeur-watching the fishermen pursue the salty waters with verve and dedication. Life and beauty is worth pursuing with such dedication as those early anglers. After several months of creative absence I feel like I am returning to that place of whimsy I love so much-letting my imagination soar, dreaming big, and writing again. 


And if you can enjoy the beauty around you with the one you love, that makes it all the more lovely! I'd like to thank my patient husband for helping me get through these last few months of school!

1 comment:

  1. Cheers to a new beautiful season filled with imaginative adventures!

    ReplyDelete