3.05.2012

Honeycomb and Chops.




Honeycomb cereal is quite the sugary delight. As a child a remember it being a grocery treat, namely when my dad and I would do the grocery shopping. Funny how him and I always ended up with more in our cart than what was on the list.

Anywho, here I am, eating a giant bowl of honeycomb cereal and contemplating the things that make up the life I live. My mind has also been wandering in the future department. In just three and a half months Sean and I will be moving up North to the Seattle area. By that time we will have been married six months, Sean will have graduated college, and will be starting a new job, I will have already lived in a new place and will be settling into another. That sort of thinking makes me all the more thankful for now. Besides, a lot can happen in three and a half months (as my dear mother would say, "People have died in a lot less time so you never know what might happen!")
Indeed already in two and a half months of Klamath living a lot has happened. In fact I feel rooted here. We have good friends, we started going to a local church, we are always running into people we know at the store, coffee shop or at the bus stop. Sean is on the home stretch of finishing school. Plus I continue to love my job and learn more about the wonderful work of creative cooking.

A recent favorite in the O'Brien kitchen is Bok Choy with Miki noodles. Super easy, tasty and healthy. I always thought Bok Choy was a strange veggie but thanks to the inspiration of my dear friend Marie (who swears by it), I have ventured into the Bok Choy arena and am loving it. Here is a simple recipe: (don't be intimidated by the curious veggie!)

-Bok Choy, sliced with the white stalks separated from the leafs
-Onion, sliced
-Garlic, minced
-Ginger, (I love to cut fresh chunks and throw it in but be sure to remove them before serving)
-Miki noodles (or any other variety of precooked Asian noodles)
- 1/2 Red Cabbage, sliced
-Soy Sauce
- ~1 T. Molasses
-Pepper
-Olive Oil

1. In a wok or skillet heat olive oil over medium heat and saute Bok Choy stalks, onion, garlic, ginger, and red cabbage.
2. Add soy sauce (to taste),about 1 tablespoon of molasses and pepper
3. Once veggies begin to soften add Miki noodles and Bok Choy leaves
4. Stir and let noodles heat (about two minutes)
5. Serve and enjoy!

If you have any other Bok Choy recipes, let me know. I am always up for trying new things.

So back to brooding on life things that are swirling about in my head.

I have been praying more, and I know need to learn how to listen better.
I have been noticing the incredible changing shades in the sky, from deep purple, to red, to pink, and then a myriad of blues.
I have been compelled to write and paint again.
I know I need to become more decisive and bold.
Why do I have such a hard time deciding on things?
I am learning more about the incredible beauty of marriage. How marvelous it is to entrust all your insecurities, failures, passions, and dreams to another human being-that despite all the bad and bizarre, and in light of all the fervor and blessing, they love you, and you them.
I am realizing that it is okay to be silent. In fact I think I need to rest in silence more.
I hate being silent.
The simple things in life can truly be the most extraordinary.
I am frustrated at Oregon's lack of assistance for refugee families. I want to help more.
I think that I am supposed to take part in helping refugee families, specifically women getting more acclimated to living in the U.S. The Seattle area has the fifth largest refugee population in America, I know I am supposed to be involved, but how?
What are my dreams and hopes?

My mind is constantly racing with dozens of thoughts at once. Tonight the theme seems to be self-reflection. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.
I have a lot of questions, many without answers at the moment, and that is just fine. Life would lack adventure and zest if we had all the answers to our questions. However, one thing I do know- honeycomb left sitting in milk for an extended period of time tastes foul. The texture is simply squishy and awful.




...and yes, in the top picture Sean has mutton chops and I have bangs. Chops are gone but the bang are staying....although I've never seen so many older men do a double take of Sean, their eyes filled with both pride and envy...






No comments:

Post a Comment